Enhanced NET Scheme in Secondary Schools Centralised Professional Development
One of the major tasks of the Regional NET Coordinating Team (RNCT) of the NET Section is to provide centralised professional development workshops to secondary English teachers including NETs. It is expected that the participants will disseminate the ideas gained from the workshops in their schools and implement them in the classrooms. Regional cluster meetings are also organised as an opportunity for English teachers to establish professional connections with colleagues in other schools and to share practices on particular topics.
B) Workshops and Cluster Meetings
The RNCT has been conducting workshops on various English language learning and teaching topics since its establishment in August 2006. Since 2006 to June, 2017, 284 PD workshops and cluster meetings were held involving 10,370 participants.
- include topics that meet the changing professional needs of teachers
- include ‘train-the-trainer’ workshops related to the interschool competitions organised by the RNCT
- support projects implemented in schools for school-based curriculum development
Regional Cluster Meetings provide a platform for:
- sharing effective English language learning and teaching strategies;
- enhancing collaboration between NETs and other English Panel Members (EPMs);
- supporting the implementation of the English curriculum in schools; and
- promoting communities of learning for ongoing professional development and support.
In each school year, popular topics are re-run and new ones introduced based on teachers’ needs and their response to the current PD programme.
The evaluation results for these workshops and cluster meetings have been consistently high. The average rating for the 2016/17 workshops was 5.32 on a 6-point scale. Comments made by participants on workshop evaluation forms referred to their useful and practical content.
D) Way Forward
The RNCT will continue to provide professional development for English teachers, including NETs, in secondary schools. The workshops and cluster meetings will focus on practical topics with direct classroom applicability. Participants will acquire and share teaching strategies targeted at improving the quality of the learning and teaching of English.
E) Professional Development Programme for 2017/18
Detailed information may be accessed through the EDB Training Calendar System (http://tcs.edb.gov.hk).