What are English Sayings of Wisdom (SOW)?
English Sayings of Wisdom (SOW) are inspiring words that hold the knowledge of truth and advice for life, shed light on uncertainties, and provide insights into life. They include English proverbs, axioms, quotes by famous people, adages, maxims, etc.
What are the themes of SOW?
The themes of SOW in this website are chosen to align with the themes of My Pledge to Act 2021.
The FOUR themes are:
- Count your blessings.
- Gratitude turns what we have into enough.
- Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.
- One good turn deserves another.
- Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
- A friend in need is a friend indeed.
- The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
- Opportunity only knocks once.
- A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
- Home is where the heart is.
- Rome was not built in a day.
- The early bird catches the worm.
- Prevention is better than cure.
- Time and tide wait for no man.
- A stitch in time saves nine.
- All roads lead to Rome.
- Every cloud has a silver lining.
- There is light at the end of the tunnel.
- Where there's a will, there's a way.
- Every dog has its day.
What do we want to achieve?
We aim to promote positive values and attitudes through English Sayings of Wisdom (SOW). Resources are developed for the learning and teaching of SOW and promotion of values education. The resource materials, which come in various modes, such as videos, games, wallpapers and posters, and learning and teaching materials, help develop in students cultural and language awareness, multimodal literacy as well as critical thinking skills.
SOW Campaign 2022/23
For more details, please refer to EDBCM No. 172/2022.
SOW Campaign 2021/22
For more details, please refer to EDBCM No. 154/2021.