Initiation Programme (Full-time)
|Full-time Initiation Programme for Newly Arrived Children |
The Full-time Initiation Programme is an integrated programme provided as an alternative mode of support services for the children just arriving Hong Kong. The children can choose to attend this programme prior to their joining to mainstream schools. The programme was tried out on a pilot basis in March 2000 and has been operated since September 2000. The services have been extended to include children newly arrived from the mainland , newly arrived non-Chinese speaking children and returnee children since January 2002.
- To enhance the standard in the English and Chinese languages of the participating children.
- To foster their personal development and social adaptation.
- To strengthen their learning experience / exposure to real classroom situation.
- Before enrolling in a mainstream school, the newly arrived children can choose to attend this Full-time Initiation programme first.
- The six-month programme will commence in September and March each year.
- The programme is operated in a school setting, and the size of each class is around 20.
- A block grant, calculated on the basis of a class of 20 newly arrived children, will be given to school for operation of the programme. The school can flexibly use the block grant to design the curriculum and support programmes to meet the needs of the participating children.
- The programme includes both academic and non-academic elements, which are equally important in helping the children integrate in the local education system and community.
- To meet the different needs of the participating children, the teachers should make flexible combinations of the following components:
- English and Chinese languages
- learning skills / study skills
- personal development
- social adaptation
- cultural subject
Enquiries can be made by telephone (2892 6190) during office hours.
List of schools operating the programme can be found in our EDB website.