Applied Learning (ApL) courses are elective subjects within the senior secondary curriculum. ApL offers studies with equal emphasis on practice and theory linked to broad professional and vocational fields. A flexible combination of ApL with core subjects, elective subjects and Other Learning Experiences helps provide students with holistic learning. ApL aims to enable students to understand fundamental theories and concepts, develop their beginners’ skill set, job-related competencies and generic skills. ApL helps students explore their career aspirations and orientation for lifelong learning.
Briefing Session on Senior Secondary Applied Learning Courses (2020-22)（Course ID：CGCDI020191318）and Briefing Session on the Applied Learning Module in the WebSAMS（Course ID：CDI020191289）will be held on 8 October and 31 October 2019 respectively. Principals and teachers are welcome to participate, please refer to the EDB Training Calendar System for details.
Invitation to Expression of Interest (Updated on 10 October 2019)
In addition to the core subjects of Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics and Liberal Studies, Secondary 5 and 6 students may choose ApL course(s) as elective subject(s) according to their interests, aspirations and abilities.
ApL aims at:
- offering diverse learning programmes for students with interest and inclination in areas other than those provided by the existing school curriculum;
- providing students with the opportunities to explore their orientation for lifelong learning and career aspirations in specific areas;
- preparing students for further studies and/or work as well as lifelong learning through the development of foundation skills, thinking skills, people skills, values and attitudes, and career-related competencies; and
- offering a substantial outcome for students to obtain recognition for further studies, work, or both at the senior secondary level.
ApL courses are designed according to the principles of balance, coherence, articulation and responsiveness to offer a sound learning platform for students. The courses are provided by various course providers including tertiary institutes and professional bodies.
Areas of Studies
There are six areas of studies for ApL:
- Creative Studies
- Media and Communication
- Business, Management and Law
- Applied Science
- Engineering and Production
The duration of each ApL course is 180 contact hours, generally extending over two school years from Secondary 5 to 6.
Applied Learning Chinese (for non-Chinese speaking students) (ApL(C)) is introduced, starting from the 2014/15 school year, to provide an additional channel exclusively for non-Chinese speaking students to obtain an alternative Chinese language qualification to prepare them for further studies and work. The duration of each ApL(C) course is 270 contact hours, extending over three school years at the senior secondary level.