The Government's policy objectives are to:
- provide nine years' free and universal primary and junior secondary education to all children attending public sector schools. Starting from the 2008/09 school year, senior secondary education is provided free through public sector schools. In addition, with effect from the 2008/09 school year, the Government provides full subvention for full-time courses run by the Vocational Training Council for Secondary 3 leavers to offer an alternative free avenue for senior secondary students outside mainstream education;
- provide a balanced and diverse school education that meets the different needs of our students, and helps them build up knowledge, values and skills for further studies and personal growth;
- enhance students' biliterate and trilingual abilities;
- enhance teaching quality and effectiveness in learning;
- improve the learning and teaching environment;
- help newly arrived children from the Mainland integrate into the local school system as soon as possible; and
- enhance the quality, flexibility and accountability of school administration.
In the 2018/19 school year, there are 587 primary schools, 506 secondary day schools and 61 special schools.