Seven Learning Goals of Primary Education
Building on kindergarten education, primary education continues to develop students’ learning capabilities and interests, and also lays a solid foundation in students to deepen their knowledge, skills, values and attitudes when they proceed to secondary education. The learning goals of the three stages are coherent and inextricably related. The updated seven learning goals emphasise the importance of nurturing a sense of belonging to our country, the Chinese culture, values education, active learning, STEAM education, media and information literacy, a healthy lifestyle and balanced physical and mental development. We expect students to achieve the updated learning goals upon completion of primary education:
- Understand our country and the Chinese culture, and cultivate a sense of belonging and national identity towards our country through national education and national security education;
- Know how to distinguish right from wrong, fulfil their duties as members of the family, society and our country, and demonstrate positive values and attitudes such as perseverance, respect for others, integrity and care for others, as well as thoughtful and sensible judgements and behaviours;
- Be equipped with a solid knowledge base and perspectives across the eight Key Learning Areas (KLAs) to facilitate personal growth and development;
- Be proactive in biliterate and trilingual communication;
Develop generic skills and inquiry thinking holistically, and learn independently and actively;
- Cultivate an interest in extensive reading and develop an active reading habit, and use information and information technology in a rational and responsible manner;
- Lead a healthy lifestyle, develop personal hobbies and talents, take pleasure in engaging in different communities, and foster interests and essential skills to appreciate aesthetic and physical activities in order to achieve a balanced physical and mental development.
For details, please refer to 1.5 of Chapter 1 of the PECG (Pilot Version) 2022.