Applied Learning (ApL) courses are elective subjects within the senior secondary curriculum. ApL offers studies with equal emphasis on practice and theory linked to broad professional and vocational fields. A flexible combination of ApL with core subjects, elective subjects and Other Learning Experiences helps provide students with holistic learning. ApL aims to enable students to understand fundamental theories and concepts, develop their beginners’ skill set, career-related competencies and generic skills. ApL helps students explore their career aspirations and orientation for lifelong learning.
- Taster Programmes for Applied Learning Chinese (for non-Chinese speaking students) (2022-24 Cohort; 2024 HKDSE) will be conducted via online mode on 6 November (Saturday), schools have to submit online applications direct to respective course providers on or before 22 October (Friday). For details, please click here (teachers may refer to our CDS message sent to schools on 21 September).
- Details on Special Arrangement of Face-to-Face Classes for Applied Learning / Adapted Applied Learning Courses in the 2021/22 School Year has been sent to schools via CDS message on 8 Sep 2021. Teachers may click here for reference.
- The course information and commencement arrangement of Applied Learning (ApL) courses (2022-24 Cohort; 2024 HKDSE Examination) to be commenced at Secondary 4 in the 2021/22 School Year have been sent to schools via the Communication and Delivery System (CDS), please click here for reference.
- The course information and commencement arrangement of Applied Learning courses (2021-23 cohort) have been sent to schools via the Communication and Delivery System (CDS), please click here for reference.
- Details on course arrangements of the Pilot Applied Learning Course – Multimedia Storystelling (for Secondary 4 in the 2021/22 school year; 2024 HKDSE) has been sent to schools via CDS message on 13 Aug 2021. Teachers may click here for the details.
Note: For the latest notices on course arrangement made by the course providers, please click here to access to their websites.
Students can access the following information online to learn more about Applied Learning courses.
In addition to the core subjects of Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics and Liberal Studies, Secondary 5 and 6 students may choose ApL course(s) as elective subject(s) according to their interests, aspirations and abilities.
ApL aims at:
- offering diverse learning programmes for students with interest and inclination in areas other than those provided by the existing school curriculum;
- providing students with the opportunities to explore their orientation for lifelong learning and career aspirations in specific areas;
- preparing students for further studies and/or work as well as lifelong learning through the development of foundation skills, thinking skills, people skills, values and attitudes, and career-related competencies; and
- offering a substantial outcome for students to obtain recognition for further studies, work, or both at the senior secondary level.
ApL courses are designed according to the principles of balance, coherence, articulation and responsiveness to offer a sound learning platform for students. The courses are provided by various course providers including tertiary institutes and professional bodies.
Areas of Studies
There are six areas of studies for ApL:
- Creative Studies
- Media and Communication
- Business, Management and Law
- Applied Science
- Engineering and Production
The duration of each ApL course is 180 contact hours, generally extending over two school years from Secondary 5 to 6.
Applied Learning Chinese (for non-Chinese speaking students) (ApL(C)) is introduced, starting from the 2014/15 school year, to provide an additional channel exclusively for non-Chinese speaking students to obtain an alternative Chinese language qualification to prepare them for further studies and work. The duration of each ApL(C) course is 270 contact hours, extending over three school years at the senior secondary level.