[Archive] Establishing an English-rich Environment in English-Medium Schools
Project Team Members:Evelyn Yee-fun Man (CUHK), David Coniam (CUHK), Christine Bruce (CUHK), Icy Kit-bing Lee (HKBU), Cecilia Tam (HKUST) and Ann Cheung (Immanuel LutheranCollege), with Alice Kit-sang Chau (CUHK)
- What are the objectives of this set of materials?
- To provide concrete suggestions to school administrative personnel so that they can take the lead and be the initiator to create a better English-rich environment within the school.
- To provide concrete suggestions for teachers so that they can play a leading and co-ordinating role to establish a better English-rich environment within the school.
- Such an environment is crucial for building up a common vision in the school for all to teach and learn through EMI. This helps to enable students to learn their subject content better through a second language, to develop high levels of English proficiency through greater exposure and use of the language and to more fully benefit from an English-medium education.
- What is this set of materials about?
- This set of materials consists of suggestions and prompts for the school as to how they may engage with the English language teachers, content subject teachers as well as the students to create an English-rich environment.
- What are the special features of this set of materials?
- There are altogether 5 sections.
- Topics covered include
- the importance of a whole school approach
- components involved in establishing an English-rich environment
- promoting a language-across-the-curriculum approach
- establishing a clear school language policy
- ideas for extra-curricular activities or special programmes for EMI
- ideas for setting up an English corner in school
- ideas for cross-curricular projects
- roles and duties of language and content subject teachers in an EMI environment
- suggested evaluation forms for school activities relating to English enhancement.