Special Education Services
In Hong Kong, a full range of special education services is provided by the Education Bureau for school children. Most of the services are now school-based, and the Special Education Services Centres in Kowloon Tong and Kwai Chung also render some of the services such as referral and placement services and centre-based support service.
The primary aim of the provision of these services is to identify children with special educational needs at an early stage so that intervention measures can be taken to prevent a mild problem from aggravating.
The following is a brief summary of the services available :
(1) Special Education Support Services
(2) Referral and Placement Services
(3) Special Education Resource Centre (Website : http://www.edb.gov.hk/serc)
• Provision of information and teaching resources on special education for the general public through the website of the centre
• Provision of computers, multi-media equipment and library service for teachers to retrieve teaching and learning resources and produce teaching materials
(4) Audiological Service
• School-based support service for students with hearing impairment (HI)
(5) Speech Therapy Service
• School-based speech therapy services for students with speech and language impairments (SLI)
(6) Educational Psychology Service
• Psycho-educational assessment and intervention for students with learning, emotional and/or behavioural difficulties
(7) School-based Support Service
• An inspector from Education Bureau is assigned to each public-sector ordinary primary school and secondary school to serve as a resource person to help schools promote the inclusive culture and develop school-based policy for supporting students with special educational needs.
(8) Centre-based Support Service
• Short-term centre-based Adjustment Programmes are provided for public sector primary and secondary school students who continuously show severe adjustment difficulties even after they have received school-based intervention.
(9) The School Partnership Scheme
• Resource Schools on Whole School Approach (RS-WSA), Special Schools cum Resource Centres (SSRC) and Special Schools cum Resource Centres (Schools for Social Development) (SSRC(SSD)) are established to provide network support for students with special educational needs through teacher empowerment, on-site support and sharing of experience and resources. In the 2017/18 and 2018/19 school years, there are 8 primary RS-WSA, 6 secondary RS-WSA, 10 SSRC and 7 SSRC(SSD). Some SSRC also offer short-term attachment programmes mainly for ordinary school students with intellectual disability and severe adjustment difficulties on a need basis. For details, please refer to Education Bureau Circular Memorandum No. 154/2017. (http://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/en/edu-system/special/support-subsidy/special-school/school-partnership-scheme/EDBCM_154_2017.pdf)
(10) Other Services
(a) Special Examination Arrangements
• Advice on the special examination arrangements for students with different types of special educational needs
(b) Training for Professional Trainees
• Supervision for trainees of educational psychology, speech therapy and audiology
(c) Advisory Service
• Professional advice for pre-school centres, special and ordinary schools, non-governmental organisations and government departments on the education services for children with special educational needs
Schools, parents and professional workers may contact the following Special Education Services Centres for enquiries regarding special education services:
Special Education Services General Office,
Ha Kwai Chung Special Education Services Centre,
More information on Whole School Approach to integrated education can be found at the following webpage: http://www.edb.gov.hk/sen
|Download PDF Version|