Physical Education (PE) provides learners with essential lifelong experience for whole-person development. Not only it develops learners' physical competence and health fitness, but also provides a blended learning and teaching environment to actualise "STEM" concepts through various physical and sports activities. Learners are encouraged to strengthen their integration and application of knowledge and skills so as to nurture their curiosity in learning, creativity and innovation, and develop critical thinking, collaboration and problem solving skills, which are the essential skills and qualities required in the 21st Century.
Physical and sports activities involve techniques that required a coordination of movements performed by various parts of the body. Coordination of body movement and skills efficiency can be improved and enhanced with the combination of scientific, technological and mathematical knowledge. To evaluate the performance status and exercises intensity among learners, tracker device such as heart rate monitor can be applied with the support of different apps.
Taking basketball as an example, the shooting angle that a ball takes in route to the basket is determined by the force and angle applied by a player’s fingertips upon release. The greater the parabolic arc, the better the chance that the ball will go in the net. Player can capture the movement and undergo movement analysis through apps for skills enhancement.
Other examples include:
e.g. Force, Energy system, Centre of gravity, Angle of release
- Newton’s laws of motion in track and field events
- Use of energy system in sprinting and long distance running
- Angle of release in throwing events such as shot putt, javelin and discus to maximise the distance of throw
e.g. Axial rotation, Drag, Conservation of energy
- Use of axial rotation to initiate the underwater pull
- Energy transfer in the pool
- Relationship between swimwear and drag in water
e.g. Force, Angular and Linear motion
- Newton’s laws of motion in badminton
- Differences between the trajectories of feathered and plastic shuttlecocks
- Mechanics of grip length
l Promotion on STEM Education – Unleashing Potential in Innovation
- Professional Development Programme
Title: The Incorporation of PE and STEM Education