'i – Journey' Paid Non-local Study Leave Scheme for Secondary School Teachers
The 'i-Journey' Scheme aims to create a unique learning experience for participants, where they will start with an inquiry, get inspired in the process, and most importantly, bring an impact on their teaching/ student learning/ school development. "i" refers to the 3 crucial elements of this Scheme – inquire, inspire and impact, and together they make a fruitful learning journey.
- Enhance teachers’ professional capacity and inspire them with the latest global education developments.
- Promote a culture of research and inquiry in schools that brings positive changes and impact on learning and teaching.
- Create space for teachers to undertake professional development activities on a full-time basis.
|Phase One||i. Pre-trip Preparation||a one-week period in Hong Kong for research and development of a school-based project proposal and participating in related courses/activities|
|ii. Overseas Experience||a five-week period of structured learning and school attachment/visits abroad, during which participants further develop and finalise their proposals with the knowledge and experience gained|
|iii. Post-trip Consolidation||a two-week period upon returning to Hong Kong for consolidation, write-up of a detailed implementation plan for the school-based project and participating in related courses/activities|
|Phase Two||iv. Implementation of Finalised Proposal||implement the school-based project in participants’ schools with a view to bringing positive changes. Good practices of any school-based initiative/ research will be shared with a larger professional community.|
Particpating teachers will be entitled to:
Particpating schools will be entitled to:
- Full-pay study leave, covering pre-trip, overseas experience and post-trip
- Transportation between Hong Kong and the location for overseas experience
- Course fees, including tuition and course materials
- Lunch and local transportation (during school attachment only)
- Funding for employment of supply teacher(s) during participating teachers’ whole study leave period. (Schools with surplus teachers arising from Voluntary Optimisation of Class Structure Scheme or Extended Retention Period for Surplus Teachers are also eligible for funding for employment of supply teachers.)
Claim Form for Reimbursement of Daily-Rated Supply Teacher Salary
Template of Supply Teacher’s Receipt
Application is open to full-time serving secondary school teachers who
- are permanent residents of Hong Kong;
- are registered teachers;
- are regular full-time teachers in aided schools (including special schools) and full-time teachers in government, caput or DSS secondary schools at the time of application ; and
- have no less than five years (as at 27/11/2019) of full-time teaching experience in local secondary schools.
For details, please refer to Information Notes to Applicants (Appendix A).
Membership List of Vetting Committee
|Chairperson||Professor Horace IP Ho-shing, MH|
|Member||Dr Ester HO Yuk-fan|
|Mr James LAM Yat-fung|
|Mr George LEUNG Wing-hung|
|Ms Elaine WU Siu-ling (2017/18 - 2018/19)|
|Mr Simon YEUNG Sai-man|
For further information about the Scheme, please contact the School Leadership & Professional Development Section, Education Bureau: